- ISBN: 9780133047172 | 0133047172
- Cover: Paperback
- Copyright: 1/14/2014
The new Advanced Reading Power 4 offers a strategic, student-based approach to the teaching of reading that encourages users to view reading in English as a problem-solving activity rather than a translation exercise. This edition retains the original four-part structure unique to the Reading Power series, focusing on Extensive Reading, Vocabulary Building,Comprehension Skills and Reading Fluency.
New to the Second Edition:
- More self-directed vocabulary-building tasks embedded in exercises.
- Updated vocabulary-learning strategies based on current research.
- New content organized around current issues relating to the Western lifestyle (social, economic, public health, environmental), with an emphasis on academic text types.
- Enhanced focus on critical thinking and academic skills.
- Targeted vocabulary items selected from frequency word list based on the Pearson International Corpus of Academic English (including both general and academic English).
- Appendix with word list for student and teacher reference.
Reading Power’s unique methodology teaches students to view reading as a process. The series encourages students to develop a strategic approach to reading and to view reading in English as a problem-solving activity rather than a translation exercise.
- Extensive Reading helps students build reading fluency, increase comprehension, and broaden vocabulary.
- Vocabulary Building includes numerous strategies for learning vocabulary, including using context clues, analyzing word parts, and noticing collocations.
- Comprehension Skills teaches scanning, making predictions and inferences, recognizing patterns of organization, identifying genre, skimming, and critical reading.
- Reading Fluency features high-interest, nonfiction selections that help students improve their reading rate and flexibility.