Common Core Literacy for ELA, History/Social Studies, and the Humanities Strategies to Deepen Content Knowledge (Grades 6-12), by Mcknight, Katherine S.
- ISBN: 9781118710159 | 1118710150
- Cover: Paperback
- Copyright: 4/14/2014
According to the Common Core State Standards, which have now been adopted by 46 states, students must develop literacy skills across all content areas. This means that educators must teach literacy—reading, writing, speaking, listening, and language—in subjects like Social Studies, Math, Science, and other technical areas.
This book help teachers understand what literacy looks like in English/Language Arts (ELA), Social Studies and other humanities-related subjects (such as: philosophy, psychology, history, classics, drama, foriegn language, and art), and shows them how to develop these literacy skills in their students. Author Katie McKnight is a popular education consultant who trains teachers nationwide on Common Core literacy. Features include:
- Alignment of activities to the Common Core State Standards in Interdisciplinary Literacy
- A Difficulty Dial: a quick reference to determine the complexity of each literacy activity
- Tips for Classroom Implementation: an overview of each literacy activity and how the tool supports the development of literacy skills and builds content knowledge
- Student Samples: serve as useful references for teachers across a variety of grade levels.