Computers &Typesetting, Volume C The Metafont Book, by Knuth, Donald E.
- ISBN: 9780201134452 | 0201134454
- Cover: Hardcover
- Copyright: 1/1/1986
Readers will learn how to write a program for each letter or symbol of a typeface. Using METAFONT, it is possible to customize a type design that already exists, or even to create an entire alphabet from scratch. It is particularly easy to create logos or special symbols. Advanced users will enjoy the freedom and artistry that METAFONT allows in creating original typefaces.
- Introduces concepts informally early in the text; in later chapters, these concepts are filled in with more detailed explanations.
- Program exercises are found throughout the text with answers in an appendix.
- Exercises and concepts of greater difficulty are marked with margin symbols. In this way, both beginning and experienced users of METAFONT can benefit.
- The book is a companion text to Knuth's The TeXbook, since TeX can be used to typeset with fonts created using METAFONT.
The METAFONTbook is the third in a five-volume series on Computers and Typesetting, all authored by Knuth.