Core Java Volume I--Fundamentals, by Horstmann, Cay S.
- ISBN: 9780135166307 | 0135166306
- Cover: Paperback
- Copyright: 8/17/2018
The #1 Guide for Serious Programmers: Fully Updated for Java SE 9, 10 & 11
Cay Horstmann’s Core Java, Volume I–Fundamentals, Eleventh Edition, is the definitive guide to writing robust, maintainable code with the Java SE 9, 10, and 11 language and libraries. Horstmann writes for serious programmers who use Java in production projects, and need a deep, practical understanding of the language and API. Throughout, he delivers what you need most: hundreds of real (non-toy) examples revealing the most powerful, effective ways to get the job done.
Updated examples reflect the new var keyword and take advantage of improvements in the Java API. You’ll learn how to use JShell’s new Read-Eval-Print Loop (REPL) for more rapid and exploratory development, and apply new features of the APIs for streams, input/output, processes, and concurrency.
In this first of two volumes, Horstmann offers in-depth coverage of fundamental Java and UI programming, including object-oriented programming, generics, collections, lambda expressions, Swing design, concurrency, and functional programming. If you’re an experienced programmer moving to Java SE 9, 10, or 11, there’s no better source for expert insight, solutions, and code.
- Master foundational techniques, idioms, and best practices for writing superior Java code
- Efficiently implement encapsulation and inheritance
- Use sound principles of object-oriented design
- Leverage the full power of objects with interfaces, lambda expressions, and inner classes
- Harden programs through effective exception handling and debugging
- Write safer, more reusable code with generic programming
- Improve performance and efficiency with Java’s standard collections
- Build cross-platform GUIs with the Swing toolkit
- Fully utilize multicore processors with Java’s improved concurrency
See Core Java, Volume II–Advanced Features, Eleventh Edition (ISBN-13: 978-0-13-516631-4, coming in 2018), for expert coverage of Java 9, 10, and 11 enterprise features, the module system, annotations, networking, security, and advanced UI programming.
Register your book for convenient access to downloads, updates, and/or corrections as they become available, including a bonus chapter on JavaFX. See inside book for details.