Critical Reading English for Academic Purposes, by
Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
- ISBN: 9782761356541 | 2761356543
- Cover: Paperback
- Copyright: 4/27/2015
Critical Reading provides a systematic introduction to the process of analyzing and evaluating a written text. Students develop critical reading skills through analysis of texts from authentic sources (journals, newspapers, magazines, and websites) and a variety of academic dsiciplines. They are encouraged to develop their comprehension and vocabulary skills, while forming a reasoned assessment of the effectiveness and validity of a text. Highlights
- The text goes beyond the standard "reading comprehension plus vocabulary" approach.
- Includes opportunities for further research, as well as writing tasks designed to allow students to synthesize the materials they have read and reach an individual conclusion.
- Each chapter introduces a fundamental skill for developing critical awareness, including:
- considering place and date of publication;
- identifying author bias and purpose;
- distinguishing between fact and opinion;
- gauging scope of research;
- evaluating evidence;
- comparing the author's argument to other points of view; and
- ultimately, evaluating the strength and validity of an argument with the goal of writing a critical review of the article.
- Teachers can access My eLab documents for support materials including answer keys and tests.