- ISBN: 9780138149314 | 0138149313
- Cover: Paperback
- Copyright: 3/10/2010
Language Assessment provides teachers with a clear presentation of the essentials for assessing second language learning fairly and effectively. This updated second edition includes new research and information on standardized tests, a new chapter on form-focused assessment, and a concise glossary of terms.
With a focus on the most common pedagogical challenge – classroom-based assessment – Language Assessment delivers useful tools for evaluating and designing practical, effective assessment techniques.
- Updated references and new information reflecting recent advances and current challenges in the field.
- Classification of assessment techniques ranging from controlled to open-ended item types on a specified continuum of micro- and macroskills of language.
- Systematic treatment of assessment for all four language skills (reading, writing, speaking, and listening) as well as grammar and vocabulary.
- Discussion of large-scale standardized tests, the ethics of testing, letter grading, and overall evaluation of student performance.
- Comprehensive presentation of alternatives in assessment, such as portfolios, journals, conferences, observations, interviews, and self- or peer-assessment.