- ISBN: 9780134463056 | 0134463056
- Cover: Paperback
- Copyright: 11/28/2016
Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) will drive dramatic cost reductions while also accelerating service delivery. Using NFV with SDN, network owners can provision new functions rapidly on demand, improve scalability, and leverage microservices. Benefits like these will make NFV indispensable for service providers, mobile operators, telcos, and enterprises alike.
Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) with a Touch of SDN is the first practical introduction to NFV’s fundamental concepts, techniques, and use cases. Written for wide audiences of network engineers, architects, planners, and operators, it assumes no previous knowledge of NFV architecture, deployment, or management.
The authors first explain how virtualization, VMs, containers, and related technologies establish the foundation for the NFV transformation. Next, they show how these concepts and technologies can be applied to virtualize network functions in the cloud, data centers, routing, security, and the mobile packet core.
You’ll discover new tools and techniques for managing and orchestrating virtualized network devices, and gain new clarity on how SDN and NFV interact and interrelate. By the time you’re done, you’ll be ready to assess vendor claims, evaluate architectures, and plan NFV’s role in your own networks.
- Understand NFV’s key benefits and market drivers
- Review how virtualization makes NFV possible
- Consider key issues associated with NFV network design and deployment
- Integrate NFV into existing network designs
- Orchestrate, build, and deploy NFV networks and cloud services
- Maximize operational efficiency by building more programmable, automated networks
- Understand how NFV and SDN work together
- Address security, programmability, performance, and service function chaining
- Preview evolving concepts that will shape NFV’s future