A Practical Guide to Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, by Sobell, Mark G.
- ISBN: 9780133477436 | 0133477436
- Cover: Paperback
- Copyright: 12/31/2013
“I have found this book to be a very useful classroom text, as well as a great Linux resource. It teaches Linux using a ground-up approach that gives students the chance to progress with their skills and grow into the Linux world. I have often pointed to this book when asked to recommend a solid Linux reference.”
— Eric Hartwell, Chair, School of Information Technology, ITT Technical Institute
Master All the Techniques You Need to Succeed with Fedora™ or Red Hat® Enterprise Linux®
- The #1 Fedora and RHEL resource—a tutorial AND on-the-job reference
- Master Linux administration and security using the command line, GUI tools, Python, systemd, and firewalld
- Set up key Internet servers, step by step, including Samba, Apache, MariaDB/MySQL, sendmail, OpenSSH, DNS, LDAP, and more
- Brand-new chapter on Virtual Machines and Cloud Computing!
In this comprehensive guide, one of the world’s leading Linux experts brings together all the knowledge and real-world insights you need to master and succeed with today’s versions of Fedora or Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Best-selling author Mark Sobell explains Linux clearly and effectively, focusing on skills you’ll actually need as a user, programmer, or administrator.
Sobell assumes no prior Linux knowledge. He starts at the beginning and walks you through every topic and task that matters, using easy-to-understand examples. Step by step, you’ll learn how to install and configure Linux from the accompanying DVD, navigate its graphical user interface, provide file/printer sharing, configure network servers, secure Linux desktops and networks, work with the command line, administer Linux efficiently, and automate administration using Python and bash.
Mark Sobell has taught hundreds of thousands of Linux and UNIX professionals. He knows every Linux nook and cranny—and he never forgets what it’s like to be new to Linux. Whatever you want to do with Linux—now or in the future—you’ll find it in this book.
Compared with other Linux books, A Practical Guide to Fedora™and Red Hat®Enterprise Linux ®, Seventh Edition, delivers
- Complete, up-to-the-minute coverage of Fedora 19 and RHEL 7 (beta)
- New programming chapters that cover Python and MariaDB/MySQL, plus a new tutorial on using GnuPG to encrypt communications
- Information on state-of-the-art security: SELinux, ACLs, firewalld (firewall-config and firewall-cmd), iptables (system-config-firewall), GnuPG, and OpenSSH
- New chapter on VMs (virtual machines) and cloud computing, including VMware, QEMU/KVM, virt-manager, virsh, GNOME Boxes, and AWS (Amazon Web Services)
- Expanded command-line coverage, including a new chapter that details 32 important utilities
- Practical information on Internet server configuration, including Apache, sendmail, NFSv4, DNS/BIND, the new LDAP Dynamic Server, and IPv6
- Complete “meat-and-potatoes” information on system/network administration, now including GRUB 2, the XFS filesystem, the new Anaconda Installer, the systemd init daemon, firewalld, and NetworkManager
- Detailed instructions on keeping Linux systems up to date, finding software packages, and working with repositories using yum and rpm
- Full coverage of the LPI Linux Essentials exam objectives plus extensive coverage of the CompTIA Linux+ exam objectives; Appendix E provides a map from objectives to pages in the book
- New coverage of find, sort, xz (compression), free, xargs, and the nano editor
- And much more, including a 500+ term glossary and comprehensive indexes
Includes DVD! Get the full version of the Fedora 19 release!