Principles of Pharmacology The Pathophysiologic Basis of Drug Therapy, by Golan, David E.
- ISBN: 9781451191004 | 1451191006
- Cover: Paperback
- Copyright: 3/24/2016
Highly regarded by both students and instructors, Principles of Pharmacology: The Pathophysiologic Basis of Drug Therapy, 4th Edition, offers an integrated mechanism-based and systems-based approach to contemporary pharmacology and drug development. An easy-to-follow format helps first- and second-year students grasp challenging concepts quickly and efficiently. Each chapter presents a clinical vignette illustrating a therapeutic problem within a physiologic or biochemical system; followed by a discussion of the biochemistry, physiology, and pathophysiology of the system; and concluding with a presentation of the pharmacology of the drugs and drug classes that activate or inhibit the system by interacting with specific molecular and cellular targets. Chapters are integrated into sections that focus on organ systems and therapeutic areas of highest importance. Clear, concise illustrations highlight key points, and drug summary tables offer quick access to essential information.
The Fourth Edition features:
- Comprehensive updates to all chapters, including recently approved drugs
- Nearly 40 popular and practical Drug Summary Tables with state-of-the-art information on clinical applications, serious and common adverse effects, contraindications, and therapeutic considerations
- A new chapter on drug transporters, and extensively revised information on drug-receptor interactions, pharmacodynamics, drug toxicity, and pharmacogenomics
- Key changes to Section 1: Fundamental Principles of Pharmacology, which now provides a comprehensive framework for material in all subsequent chapters
- Hundreds of meticulously updated and colorized illustrations, including many that are new or substantially modified to highlight new understanding of physiologic, pathophysiologic, and pharmacologic mechanisms