- ISBN: 9781118582411 | 1118582411
- Cover: Paperback
- Copyright: 1/30/2015
The Objective-C language is central to both iOS and Mac OS development. With the huge success of the Apple ecosystem, the language has never experienced greater appeal. However, while many books have been written about beginning Objective-C topics, a comprehensive and in-depth guide to the language semantics, run-time, and associated design patterns is sorely missing. This book provides an advanced view into the Objective-C Programming Language, the language that makes all the Apple iOS and OS X magic happen.
The book includes:
- Introduction - Thorough coverage of the Objective-C language and syntax, and the basic philosophy that leads to its creation.
- Modern Compiler Infrastructure - how Objective-C code is ultimately transformed to machine executable applications, expose the whole process from preprocessing to compilation.
- Objective-C application paradigms and a few fearless hacks - various paradigms the Foundation, UIKit and AppKit frameworks leverage that enable effective software creation, and ways to adopt similar paradigms in application code.
- Extending Objective-C with new ideas - newly introduced ideas from functional programming and concurrency. Provides a curious look into how future Objective-C programs may look like.
After reading the book, the reader will thoroughly understand the subject and be encouraged to get involved with various development efforts underlying the ecosystem.