Psychosocial Aspects of Disability: Insider Perspectives and Counseling Strategies, by Marini, Irmo, Ph.D.
- ISBN: 9780826106025 | 0826106021
- Cover: Hardcover
- Copyright: 7/1/2011
This textbook explores the psychosocial implications of living and working among persons with a disabling condition, with a focus on the sociological and societal perceptions toward disability. Providing an 'insider's perspective' on counseling, this book serves as an ideal reading for students pursuing rehabilitation counseling.
Selected chapters incorporate cultural issues, historical perspectives, myths and misconceptions about disability, contemporary issues in positive psychology and wellness, quality of life issues and health impact, and implications for caregivers. Further topics discussed are adjustments to disability by the individual and family and counseling strategies in working with persons with disabilities and their families.Key Features:
- Includes narratives of persons living with various disabilities such as blindness, hearing impairments, spinal cord injuries, and muscular dystrophy, and polio
- Presents case studies prepared in a structured format to include psychological and sociological research
- Includes glossary of terms as well as critical thinking questions
- Addresses do's and don'ts counseling strategies for persons with disabilities
- Includes a section on issues in professional rehabilitation counselors must deal with on a daily basis and how they go about treating their clients