Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
- ISBN: 9780738592541 | 0738592544
- Cover: Paperback
- Copyright: 8/13/2012
In 1805, Indiana Township became the fourth township formed in Allegheny County. The earliest settlers, Jacob Huddle (Hodil) and Henry Strohm, arrived from Germany in 1798. The township was mainly rural when it was first settled, but as time progressed, the inevitable "coal culture" began. Coal mining was ideal for three main reasons: the rich coal deposits found within the landscape, the vast array of rail systems, and proximity to the Allegheny River. Important areas in the community include the Singing Winds site of the Council of the Three Rivers American Indian Center, the Mary Flinn Lawrence Estate (commonly referred to as "Hartwood Acres"), the Harmarville Rehabilitation Center, Consulate Healthcare, and Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve (currently in Fox Chapel Borough but formerly in Indiana Township), which is currently home to the Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania. The famous stage actress Faye Templeton made Indiana Township her home for a time at Wunnahunny Farm, now called Humes's Farm.