- ISBN: 9781781318157 | 1781318158
- Cover: Paperback
- Copyright: 4/9/2019
"Simple, clear explanations of twenty ways in which mathematics helps us to understand practical issues of everyday life. Suitable for teenagers and adults, and beautifully produced. Highly recommended!" - Professor Ian Stewart, bestselling author of The Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities
Mathematics is an indispensable tool for life. From the systems that underpin our newsfeeds, through to the data analysis that informs our health and financial decisions, to the algorithms that power how we search online – mathematics is at the heart of how our modern world functions.
In 20 dip-in lessons, Understanding Numbers explains how and why mathematics fuels your world and arms you with the knowledge to make wiser choices in all areas of your life.
• Make sense of health statistics
• Understand the mathematics behind political voting systems
• Get to grips with how online search tools work
• Discover how mathematics can create the perfect city