- ISBN: 9781719645997 | 171964599X
- Cover: Paperback
- Copyright: 2/15/2022
I like this book because it's easy to work with and explain[s] in simple form. “Great book for short term training, it's perfect.”—Lisa W., Online Reviewer
Cross-training? Continuing education? Refresher?
Whether you’re cross training, continuing your education, or taking a refresher course, the knowledge and skills you need to master the essentials of phlebotomy are here.
This user-friendly text focuses on the proper techniques for collecting quality blood specimens with minimal patient discomfort. It’s perfect for intensive one- or two-day phlebotomy courses!
- Thoroughly updated and revised throughout to reflect the practice of phlebotomy today and the guidelines established by national certifying organizations and the essentials published by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS).
- All procedures updated in accordance with the most current standards developed by the CLSI, The Joint Commission (TJC), and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA),
- Up-to-date information on point-of-care testing, preexamination variables and their effect on the specimen integrity, current ADA guidelines for the diagnosis of diabetes mellitus, arterial blood collection, and newborn bilirubin and newborn screening procedures
- Discusses the basics, including…types of blood specimens, blood collection equipment vein selection and alternate sites, types of collection tubes and the purpose of anticoagulants, the order of draw, test-specific handling, complications and remedies, and storage and transportation conditions
- Offers full-color photographs that make every detail and technique easy-to-understand and easy-to-follow.
- Covers blood specimen collection equipment including safety devices and technical procedures for venipuncture and dermal puncture.
- Features a self-assessment exam that meets the requirements for continuing education protocols.
- Offers a wealth of features to make learning easier, including learning objectives, technical tips to avoid complications, such as hematomas and hemolysis, safety tips, practical situation problem-solving exercises, performance evaluation checklists for technical procedures, review questions, an illustrations, photographs, diagrams, charts, and tables.
- Includes a color tube guide.