- ISBN: 9781119570110 | 1119570115
- Cover: Hardcover
- Copyright: 9/11/2019
Cut through the noise and make better college and career choices
This book is about addressing the college-choosing problem. The rankings, metrics, analytics, college visits, and advice that we use today to help us make these decisions are out of step with the progress individual students are trying to make. They don't give students and families the information and context they need to make such a high-stakes decision about whether and where to get an education.
Choosing College strips away the noise to help you understand why you’re going to school. What's driving you? What are you trying to accomplish? Once you know why, the book will help you make better choices.
The research in this book illustrates that choosing a school is complicated. By constructing more than 200 mini-documentaries of how students chose different postsecondary educational experiences, the authors explore the motivations for how and why people make the decisions that they do at a much deeper, causal level. By the end, you’ll know why you’re going and what you’re really chasing.
- Identifies the five different Jobs for which students hire postsecondary education
- Allows you to see your true options for what’s next
- Offers guidance for how to successfully choose your pathway
- Illuminates how colleges and entrepreneurs can build better experiences for each Job
The authors help readers understand not what job students want out of college, but what "Job" students are hiring college to do for them.