- ISBN: 9798889060598 | 888906059X
- Cover: Hardcover
- Copyright: 2/1/2024
Buy a new version of this textbook and receive access to the Connected eBook with Study Center on Casebook Connect, including lifetime access to the online ebook with highlight, annotation, and search capabilities. Access also includes practice questions, an outline tool, and other helpful resources. Connected eBooks provide what you need most to be successful in your law school classes.
Civil Procedure, Second Edition primes students to engage at a high level in the classroom. The authors offer clear explanations and frameworks to help students see what is important about each topic in civil procedure. By the time students arrive in the classroom, they will have a solid understanding not only of basic doctrine and mechanics, but also why each topic matters in the real world of litigation. The case selection reflects this commitment. Rather than rely exclusively on appellate cases exploring legal questions, the authors chose cases that would best help students understand the core functions and challenges of each aspect of civil procedure, including numerous decisions by district and magistrate judges applying the rules. The notes and questions guide students step by step to understand the implications of each case. Throughout, the authors offer insights on the implications of procedural rules as a matter of policy and as a matter of litigation strategy.
New to the Second Edition:
- Revised chapter on personal jurisdiction based on Supreme Court’s decisions in Ford (2021) and Mallory (2023).
- New cases on issue preclusion, supplemental jurisdiction, personal jurisdiction, service of process, and venue.
- Updates and refinements throughout the book.
- Clear explanations of each topic to prime students for case reading and class discussion.
- Notes and Questions that guide students, step by step, not only to understand case holdings and procedural story lines, but also to appreciate nuances that may otherwise be invisible to first-year students.
- “Terminology Tips” to help students learn the sometimes-baffling language of civil procedure.
- “Strategy Sessions” to help students see how procedural rules affect litigation strategy and settlement dynamics.
- “The Big Picture” boxes to help students step back from each topic to see trends and implications.