- ISBN: 9781119885696 | 1119885698
- Cover: Paperback
- Copyright: 2/28/2024
Up-to-date, comprehensive, and practical professional reference book demonstrating laboratory procedures used for small animals, horses, and cattle
The newly revised and updated Second Edition of Clinical Pathology and Laboratory Techniques for Veterinary Technicians is an inclusive reference on laboratory procedures pertaining to small animals, horses, and cattle, providing information on hematology, hemostasis, clinical chemistry, urinalysis, parasitology, fecal testing, and quality assurance, with example cases that emphasize specific topics and explain their importance in a clinical context, further expanded upon in each chapter.
The text clarifies ‘how-to’ information while also discussing the importance of ‘why’ laboratory procedures are performed in a particular way, enabling readers to gain true understanding of the topics discussed. To aid in reader comprehension, high-quality photographs labeled with magnification and stain information, which clearly depict cellular morphology, inclusions, and infectious organisms, are included throughout each chapter.
The text also offers key objectives, technician tip boxes, case examples, and a glossary of key terms, along with a companion website that provides images from the book for download, instructor questions, and an answer key to multiple choice questions in the book.
Clinical Pathology and Laboratory Techniques for Veterinary Technicians includes information on:
- Sample collection, handling, and quality assurance, to ensure laboratory test results are valid
- Hematology data collection techniques that may be used on a daily basis to evaluate the overall health of animal patients
- Clinical chemistry data to indicate organ function, covering how different chemicals measured in patient samples relate to the function of specific organs in the body
- In-house parasitology procedures, with important advances in molecular diagnostics have been made that improve the detection and identification of parasites
With complete coverage of the subject, Clinical Pathology and Laboratory Techniques for Veterinary Technicians is an essential resource for students enrolled in veterinary technology programs and veterinary colleges, and may be used as a textbook to guide and supplement information provided in both didactic and laboratory-based clinical pathology courses.