Concise Guide to Legal Research and Writing [Connected eBook], by Bouchoux, Deborah E.
- ISBN: 9781543847574 | 1543847579
- Cover: Paperback
- Copyright: 2/1/2024
Buy a new version of this textbook and receive access to the Connected eBook on Casebook Connect, including lifetime access to the online ebook with highlight, annotation, and search capabilities. Access also includes an outline tool and other helpful resources. Connected eBooks provide what you need most to be successful in your undergraduate and law school classes.
Featuring Deborah E. Bouchoux's highly regarded assignments, examples, and building-block approach, Concise Guide to Legal Research and Writing, Fifth Edition continues to provide timely coverage of the essential research and writing skills used by today's legal professionals. Designed to be accessible and practical, this is the ideal text for shorter legal research and writing courses.
New to the Fifth Edition:
- Significant focus on newer technologies available to legal researchers such as Lexis+ Brief Analysis, Westlaw Edge's Quick Check, and more.
- Coverage of the use of analytics tools now used by legal professionals, such as Lexis+ Context.
- An entirely new section in Chapter 8 on the use of artificial intelligence (AI) in legal research.
- Expanded section on techniques to achieve gender-inclusive language.
- A new section in Chapter 14 on using tech tools such as ProWritingAid, BriefCatch, WordRake, NoRedInk, and Cooley GO to improve writing.
- A new section on texting and confidentiality issues in Chapter 15.
- A completely revamped and expanded discussion on e-memos in Chapter 16.
- Revised throughout with new ethics alerts and updated figures.
- All new Research Questions and Internet Legal Research Assignments included in each chapter.
- Concise, well-organized text, divided into six main sections:
- Section I discusses primary authorities
- Section II covers secondary sources
- Section III focuses on computer-assisted legal research using Lexis, Westlaw, and the Internet
- Section IV covers citation form and how to ensure that primary sources are still "good law"
- Section V provides an overview of the legal research process
- Section VI covers legal writing
- Pedagogy designed to enhance the accessibility of the material, including helpful charts and diagrams that synthesize complex topics, updated Practice Tips offering realistic and helpful suggestions for workplace success, and Ethics Alerts in every chapter.
- Targeted and ample exercises help students learn how to use a wide range of research sources.
- Tips on how to effectively use electronic resources are included throughout the text.