Employment Law A Guide to Hiring, Managing, and Firing for Employers and Employees, by Rassas, Lori B.
- ISBN: 9781543858686 | 1543858686
- Cover: Paperback
- Copyright: 9/14/2022
With her user-friendly and practical guide, Employment Law for Non-Lawyers, Lori Rassas gives a comprehensive awareness of the legal issues that may arise throughout the employer-employee relationship.
Employment Law: A Guide to Hiring, Managing, and Firing for Employers and Employees, Fifth Edition by Lori B. Rassas is a practical text for undergraduate, paralegal, and graduate-level employment law courses, including those offered in human resources and business school programs. This unique book handles each area of the law and its practical application from the perspective of both employers and employees. The balanced approach is organized to track the employer-employee relationship focusing on hiring, managing, and firing practices. The end-of-chapter questions test key concepts and present hypothetical situations that test students’ ability to master and apply concepts and promote the development of critical thinking and analytical skills.
New to the Fifth Edition:
- recruiting strategies designed to balance the interests of employers to comply with anti-discrimination laws and achieve their diversity and inclusion goals
- expanded discussion of hair discrimination
- greater coverage of sex discrimination based on gender identity, transgender status, and sexual orientation
- explanation of legislative efforts designed to address broader pay equity issues among and between different protected classes
- expanded coverage of the National Labor Relations Act and its impact on the rights of employers to regulate workplace conduct
- analysis of legal developments that materialized during the pandemic and have widespread applicability as they continue to evolve: updated guidance on medical inquiries, remote working arrangements, reasonable accommodations, and vaccine policies
Professors and students will benefit from:
- Chronologically-organized, clear, and concise explanations of complex legal concepts that track the employer–employee relationship.
- Enforcement guidance and workplace posters from the agencies that enforce the laws that regulate the employment relationship
- Practical information that that guides students to frame legally compliant interview questions
- References to the most significant legal cases and some lesser-known cases that represent common themes.
- The injection of real-life memorable scenarios and humor to increase the attention of students and help them retain the knowledge related to key concepts.
- Key terms defined when first introduced; outrageous but true “Check-It-Out” situations with employment implications; objective and analytical end-of-chapter questions; and a comprehensive glossary and index.