- ISBN: 9781975120429 | 1975120426
- Cover: Hardcover
- Copyright: 1/30/2020
Selected as a Doody's Core Title for 2022!
Bring the principles of nursing to life and build a foundation for success from the classroom to the clinical setting. Fundamentals of Nursing: Concepts and Competencies for Practice, 9th Edition helps foster the strong critical thinking, clinical judgment, clear communication, and sound clinical skills students need to succeed throughout the nursing curriculum and to meet the challenges practicing nurses confront each day. Drawing from the latest clinical evidence, this big-picture approach breathes life into theoretical principles, putting students in the mindset of a successful nurse and immersing them in a proven nursing process framework that clarifies key capabilities, from promoting health to differentiating between normal function and dysfunction, to the use of scientific rationales and the approved nursing process.
This updated 9th Edition further enhances students’ clinical capabilities with new Unfolding Patient Stories that challenge students to think critically about commonly encountered patient scenarios. More than 850 online NCLEX®-style review questions, as well as NCLEX®-style review questions in the book, reinforce students’ test-taking confidence. New Critical Thinking Using QSEN Competencies features provide essential practice for applying concepts to clinical situations.
- NEW! Unfolding Patient Stories, written by the National League for Nursing, foster valuable reflection on commonly encountered clinical scenarios.
- UPDATED! Additional NCLEX® Review questions reinforce students’ exam readiness.
- NEW! Critical Thinking Using QSEN Competencies features include thought-provoking questions to boost students’ clinical reasoning and problem-solving capabilities.
- NEW!Revised organization of the Table of Contents reflects an updated focus on foundational nursing concepts
- and competencies.
- Case Scenarios at the beginning of each chapter encourage students to think holistically about common clinical situations.
- Richly illustrated concept maps help visual learners apply the nursing process and think critically about the chapter-opening case scenarios.
- PICO (patient/problem, intervention, comparison, outcome) displays guide students through a structured, evidence-based approach to finding answers to clinical challenges related to the chapter-opening case scenarios.
- Collaborating with the Healthcare Team displays familiarize students with the SBAR technique for effective interpersonal communication.
- Therapeutic Dialogues emphasize close listening and enhance students’ patient communication capabilities.
- Concept Mastery Alerts clarify potentially confusing topics as identified by Lippincott’s Adaptive Learning powered by PrepU.
- Apply Your Critical Thinking features encourage deep thinking on concepts and situations, with detailed answers in an appendix identifying areas for further review.
- Ethical-Legal Issues equip students to think critically about complex situations they may encounter.
- Plan of Care features help students apply available knowledge and evidence-based research to create effective care plans.
- Outcome-Based Teaching Plans guide students to specific patient education outcomes.
- NANDA-I Tables clearly outline the relationship between nursing diagnosis, outcomes and interventions.
- Safety Alerts highlight specific considerations for safe practice.
- Evidence-Based Bundles to Improve Patient Care recommend sets of evidenced-base practices to reliably improve patient outcomes.
- Key Terms lists familiarize students with essential vocabulary in each chapter.
- Learning Objectives alert students to the most important chapter concepts.