A History of Germany 1918 - 2020 The Divided Nation, by Fulbrook, Mary
- ISBN: 9781119574170 | 111957417X
- Cover: Paperback
- Copyright: 4/26/2021
The new edition of the acclaimed textbook on modern German history, written by a leading scholar in the field
Now in its fifth edition, A History of Germany 1918-2020 provides a clear and well-balanced survey of German history from the creation of the Weimar Republic to the era of Angela Merkel’s Chancellorship. Guiding readers through the complex patterns of the nation’s historical development using clear and compelling narrative, this classic textbook introduces readers to the key themes of modern German history while tracing the social, cultural, and political tensions that have challenged German stability and unity across more than a century.
Fully updated for the next generation of readers, A History of Germany 1918-2020 extends its framework for exploring legacies of the past into the 21st century. The fifth edition includes enhanced coverage of the extremes of nationalism, military aggression, and genocide under Nazism, as well as an expanded analysis of the Berlin Republic and the changing character of Germany in the Europe of 2020. Presenting readers with a panoramic overview of the past 100 years of German history, this compelling textbook:
- Provides a concise yet thorough account of the turbulent history of Germany from the end of the First World War to the present
- Examines the character and consequences of World War II and the Holocaust
- Explores the development of a capitalist democracy in West Germany and a communist dictatorship in East Germany during the Cold War
- Covers East and West German history in equal depth from the perspectives of instability, division, and reunification
- Analyses the fall of Communism and the unification of an enlarged Federal Republic in 1989-90
- Traces unified Germany’s development as a globally respected state playing a pivotal role in Europe today
A History of Germany 1918-2020: The Divided Nation, Fifth Edition remains the ideal text for undergraduate students in courses on modern German or European history, as well as for general readers with interest in the subject.