A History of Modern Latin America 1800 to the Present, by Meade, Teresa A.
- ISBN: 9781119719168 | 111971916X
- Cover: Paperback
- Copyright: 8/9/2022
Explores the modern history of Latin America using an intersectional approach, newly revised and updated.
A History of Modern Latin America: 1800 to the Present, Third Edition offers a lively account of the rich political, cultural, and social history of the independent nation-states of Latin America and the Caribbean. Viewing Latin American history through the lens of social class, gender, race, and ethnicity, this accessible textbook explores the complex set of personalities, issues, and events that intersect to form the Latin American historical landscape.
Written in a clear and engaging narrative style, the fully updated third edition examines specific events in different nations and periods to illustrate broader historical trends and interpretations. Concise chapters feature first-hand accounts of the life history of both prominent and ordinary people to contextualize topics such as African slavery in the Americas, the struggle for Haitian independence, the patriarchal rules governing marriage in Brazil, the construction of the Panama Canal, indigenous uprisings in the Mexican Revolution, the impact of immigration on Latin American life, the opening of diplomatic relations between the United States and Cuba, and more.
- Presents documents and excerpts from fiction to serve as concrete examples of historical ideas
- Examines gender and its influence on political and economic change
- Highlights the role of music, art, sports, movies, and other popular culture in the formation of Latin American cultural identity
- Includes a summary of European colonialism and an overview of Latin America in the 21st century
- Provides end-of-chapter review questions, discussion topics, and suggested readings
Part of the popular Wiley Blackwell Concise History of the Modern World series, the third edition of A History of Modern Latin America: 1800 to the Present is an excellent textbook for introductory and intermediate undergraduate students as well as high school students taking advanced/honors Latin American history courses.