- ISBN: 9781838666255 | 1838666257
- Cover: Paperback
- Copyright: 1/31/2024
You must read this book before buying any artwork – written by the world’s leading art-market economist
Navigating the world of collecting can be a tricky process, especially for one just starting out in the art market. The world’s leading art market expert Magnus Resch explains the core principles of the art market and reveals the secrets of how to build and grow an art collection.
He answers questions such as:
• What art should I invest in?
• Where do I start?
• Which gallery should I visit?
• How do I get VIP tickets for Art Basel?
• Where's the best place to sell my art?
• Is this price fair?
This book is a comprehensive guide for anyone interested in collecting art, novice or expert. Readers will learn:
• How the art market really works;
• How to navigate the art world;
• How to start and develop a sustainable collection strategy, for every budget.
Featured alongside Magnus’s advice for collecting are quotes and case studies from esteemed art world professionals, including mega collectors Shelley and Philip Aarons, Beth Rudin DeWoody, Jorge M. Pérez, Howard E. Rachofsky, and Komal Shah; museum directors Adam Weinberg and Heidi Zuckerman; art fair founder Touria El Glaoui; mega art dealers Marc Glimcher, Adam Lindemann, Jeffrey Deitch, and Simon de Pury; leading art curator Hans Ulrich Obrist; superstar art advisor Amy Cappellazzo; and artist Julian Schnabel. The book also features a foreword written by leading art collector Pamela Joyner.
No-nonsense, clear prose makes this the perfect primer for anyone who is interested in collecting art. This book is for:
• Art lovers who want to buy their first pieces;
• Collectors who want to understand more about investing in art;
• Advisors and gallerists who want to refresh their knowledge.
This book, with words of advice from the most accomplished experts in the field, is like carrying an art advisor in your pocket.