Revolutionary Love Creating a Culturally Inclusive Literacy Classroom, by Wynter-Hoyt, Kamania; Braden, Eliza; Myers, Michele; Rodriquez, Sanjuana; Thornton, Natasha
Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
- ISBN: 9781338828733 | 1338828738
- Cover: Paperback
- Copyright: 5/16/2022
When educators place love at the center of their work, they change lives—and that is precisely what the authors of this remarkable book aim to do. Drawing from years as researchers and teachers, they share ways they’ve overcome challenges and demonstrate how to engage in ongoing self-reflection and examine common but harmful practices that narrow the curriculum for all children. They offer:
- Practices that affirm and celebrate all students’ identities, languages, and cultures—building a community of engaged and thoughtful learners.
- Hands-on tools for examining yourself, your systems, and your instruction.
- Effective ways to engage with students, families, and communities.
- Ideas for transforming reading and writing workshop to work for all children.
- Guidelines for selecting diverse children’s books and using them to help children become kinder and more empathetic, as they become more proficient readers and writers.
If you want to create a vibrant classroom community that honors the funds of knowledge that children of color bring, this book is for you.