- ISBN: 9781394210503 | 1394210507
- Cover: Hardcover
- Copyright: 4/2/2024
Comprehensive reference text for the development of advanced antenna systems for 5G and beyond
Smart Antennas for 5G+ addresses the transformation that simple, conventional antennas have gone through to fulfill the complex and challenging performance expectations of 5G wireless communications and beyond. It also describes the 5G physical layer including the gNodeB, basics of the propagation channel, and user equipment (UE) specific antenna aspects. The authors present various broadband antennas covering mmW bands for 5G+ and B5G applications, explore recent developments in array calibration and plane wave generators, and consider future challenges for 5G+ radio system testing.
Novel key performance indicators in which not only conventional RF parameters, but also other parameters and overall radio performance, are examined. The huge shrinkage which was prioritized in 4G modules are now combined with extremely versatile and precise beamforming capacities, thermal mitigation, and link budget compensation design strategies that bring antennas into a new era. As such, antenna integration, flexible and 3D printed elements, the use of metamaterials, and advanced testing of new features are key elements of this book.
Additional topics covered in Smart Antennas for 5G+ include:
- Beamforming, beam-steering, power control, cell breathing, and many other 5G concepts that make the evaluation of a 5G antenna structure a complex process
- Multi-probe anechoic chamber, reverberation chamber, and wireless cable solutions, RF testing of the 5G antenna systems, and small-cell repeaters for 5G/B5G beamforming
- Powering and sensing applications in 5G+ printed electronic steerable antenna arrays for reconfigurable intelligent surfaces that stem from metasurfaces
- 3GPP/ITU standards and models for 5G MIMO base station antennas, propagation channel modeling, and link budget considerations
The connection between complex but realistically used designs and the way testing has evolved to determine the value of novel designs makes Smart Antennas for 5G+ a must-have resource for advanced engineers as well as newcomers in the field of 5G wireless communications.