- ISBN: 9781119860228 | 1119860229
- Cover: Paperback
- Copyright: 3/1/2023
A complete, accessible, evidence-based guide to better teaching in higher education
This higher education playbook provides a wealth of research-backed practices for nearly every aspect of effective teaching throughout higher education. It is filled with practical guidance and proven techniques designed to help you improve student learning, both face-to-face and online. Already a bestselling research-based toolbox written for college instructors of any experience level, Teaching at Its Best just got even better.
What is new? A lot. For this updated 5th edition, Todd Zakrajsek joins Linda Nilson to create a powerful collaboration, drawing on nearly 90 combined years as internationally recognized faculty developers and faculty members. One of the most comprehensive books on effective teaching and learning, the 5th edition of Teaching at its Best brings new concepts, new research, and additional perspectives to teaching in higher education. In this book, you will find helpful advice on active learning, interactive lecturing, self-regulated learning, the science of learning, giving and receiving feedback, and so much more. Each chapter has been revised where necessary to reflect current higher education pedagogy and now includes two reflection questions and one application prompt to reflect on your teaching and stimulate peer discussions.
- Discover the value of course design and how to write effective learning outcomes
- Learn which educational technology is worthwhile and which is a waste of time
- Create a welcoming classroom environment that boosts motivation
- Explore detailed explanations of techniques, formats, activities, and exercises—both in person and online
- Enjoy reading about teaching strategies and educational concepts
Whether used as a resource for new and seasoned faculty, a guide for teaching assistants, or a tool to facilitate faculty development, this research-based book is highly regarded across all institutional types.